Sunday, May 10, 2015

A MOTHER'S REQUEST

Mother's Day, 2015

Dear Child,
        Mother’s Day is coming up, and I thought I should tell you what I want. This way there’s no guilty panic or last minute purchasing of flowers at the closest gas station. So this is what I want, this year and every year after.
        I want you to be a decent human being. I want you to be who you are, but don’t be an idiot. I want you to work hard at everything you do, because life is too short not to give it everything you’ve got. I want you to know that you can choose the right thing when the devil offers you his cookies.
 
       I want you to ask for help when you need it. I want you to help others when they need it. I want you to learn how to cook, do your own laundry, pay your bills and know how to clean a bathroom. When you mess up, and you will more than once, I want you to own it and do your best to fix it. It’s the mess-ups that make the victories sweeter. 
       I want you to travel, because the world is huge and you are one part of it. I want you to know that even if I may hate what you do, I will never stop loving you. I want you to play nicely with others. I want you to feed your curiosity. I want you to find a way to do what you enjoy, and realize that it might look different than you originally thought. 
        I want you to respect every human being’s right to be who they are. At times I want you to be more interested in someone else than in yourself and help others like you help yourself. I want you to know that you are flawed and you are extraordinary. There is no one else like you. 
       I want you to know that I would lay down my life for you any day of the week. I want you to know you’re blessed by our great God who has created you and forgiven you. I want you to know love, even if it means getting hurt. I want you to be good to others and to yourself. You will learn life can be hard, but with God’s help you can handle it. Always know that I will love you, no matter what.

Love, Mom

P.S. I wouldn’t mind getting a card now and then.

No comments: