Monday, October 23, 2017

WHO MADE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR LIFE?

        One never knows how much one’s life can be influenced when God puts a special person in your life, someone you really need to know.
        This past October 3, heaven opened its doors to a dedicated and caring servant of God who helped change my life. Rev. Leland Wendland departed this life after serving as pastor nearly 60 years. He was my internship supervisor at St. Mark’s, Minot, ND, 1969-70, and his guidance turned my life around.
        After a bumpy six years of college and seminary training, Vicarage (internship) assignment was at hand and I didn’t want to go. My wife urged me to find a Lutheran teaching position, but despite several promising interviews it was too late to be called, and I lacked key training as a teacher. 
        I can still recall that St. Louis spring day when we first met Pastor Wendland with his bright smile and positive attitude that put us at ease. As he told us what to expect from life and work in North Dakota, our fears quickly melted. Later when we met his gentle, sweet wife and their young family of seven, we knew God had led us to the right place and especially to the right person. 
        Working with Lee was never dull. He gave me independence and responsibility that helped overcome my uncertainties. He showed me true Christian service and how God wanted to use my abilities. I became a pastor because he believed I could do it, and he helped me to believe in myself. I thank God that He brought us together that year. 
        Lee was a powerful preacher of the Gospel of Jesus. He once told me a pastor’s job was to “comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.”  He didn’t invent that concept, but he lived it in his ministry and urged others to do the same. I thank God for His faithful servants who have helped me, whoever and wherever they are. In our last conversation, a few days before he died, I told Lee how much he had helped me. 
        Is there someone special in your past whom God gave to help you? If he or she is still alive, maybe you should give them a call. Let them know the difference they made in your life and don’t forget to tell them thanks. 

“Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord.” (Jeremiah 17:7)

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: