Monday, February 11, 2019

AM I REALLY A GOOD PERSON?


        I had an MRI this morning to see why my neck has been so stiff and sore. It’s not easy remaining still for those 15-20 minutes, but it is possible. If you ever have an MRI, close your eyes during the entire test. Don’t open them until it’s over. I’ve found that’s the best way to deal with claustrophobia.
        Stiff necked, Pastor Bob? Doesn’t the Bible talk about that and having a hard heart too? (2 Chronicles 36:13) I’ll guess I’ll see ifI have both of those this summer when I have a scheduled heart MRI. We can be sure, though, that no matter what tests may show, we are all a bit stiff necked and hard-hearted.
        Are you a good person? What do you see when you look in the mirror? Last Thursday Carol and I were leaving downtown Phoenix when a red light stopped us at an intersection, and a young woman held up a sign to get a donation. It said, “2 Honest 2 Steal, 2 Ugly 2 Prostitute. Please Help Me! ” I chuckled at her honesty and would have given her money had not the light turned green. 
        Honesty is not practiced enough in our world today. “I’m a good person. I haven’t sinned today,” we may say. Really - a good person? Maybe we haven’t stolen, killed or committed adultery, but can we really say that makes us a good person?
        The Bible says we don’t just commit sin, we are sinners. It’s in our nature to rebel against God’s Law, no matter how good we try to be. Following Jesus can help us avoid some sin, but it doesn’t take away the reality of that we’re still sinful, and therefore we need Jesus’ forgiveness. Despite how good we may feel we are, we will always need Jesus. We can never be good enough without God’s mercy in Jesus.
        God’s Word, Bible, says, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) It also says, “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)
        Do your best today to be a good person, but always remember you’re only good enough because of Jesus. 

“Please Help Me!”

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: