Monday, May 6, 2019

BECOMING A PASTOR

(From EVERY DAY WITH JESUS, a daily devotional by Rev. Tasler, May 5)

        Now and then I am still asked, “How did you know you wanted to be a pastor?” Every pastor has his story, and most of them show that God works in interesting ways to call pastors. I started thinking about it about age six.
        Mrs. Emma Papke was Kindergarten Sunday School teacher at our church for decades. Although a stern and stately widow, she still treated us all as if we were her children, reminding us of Jesus’ love and our need to follow Him. One day after her class, I heard her tell my mother, “Robert should become a pastor.” I was six years old.
        That made me feel pretty good. Pastors were respected, and I loved to sing and talk, and it was interesting being around people. So I decided maybe that’s what God wanted me to do. Family and friends learned of this, so they were not surprised when I entered college and seminary and was ordained a Lutheran pastor in 1971.
        There were some curves in the road that made other work seem attractive, but I found true what another pastor told me, “If you want to do something else, go ahead and try!” I never seriously tried to do anything else except be a pastor, and I'm grateful the Lord helped me along the way.
        Amos left his sheep to follow God’s call, Hosea was told to marry a prostitute, and Jonah ran away when God called him to serve. I didn’t have to go to such efforts; I just went to North Dakota. We are all, “A royal priesthood, a holy nation, called out of darkness into His marvelous light.” (1 Peter 2:9)

Lord Jesus, wherever You lead, help us to follow.

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: