Monday, July 1, 2019

GOD NEVER FORGETS

        I awoke this morning and immediately remembered I had an early breakfast appointment with a friend. There was still time to get there, so, as quietly as possible, I dressed and headed out the door, feeling quite good that I had not forgotten it, which I have done in the past. Trouble is, as I glanced at today’s newspaper, I saw today is Monday, and my appointment is for tomorrow, Tuesday.
        So I set down the paper, took out the trash and made myself breakfast, all the while wondering if I would remember to keep this appointment tomorrow. Ah, the joys and challenges of life! So with coffee in hand, I decided somehow to use this experience in today’s WEEKLY MESSAGE before I watch the news and probably take a nap.
        I can’t think of a single story in the Bible about someone forgetting an appointment. There are prayers asking God to forget our sins, not forget our blessings, and to remember His faithfulness towards us. But no writer seems willing to admit he has forgotten to do what God directed him or what he agreed to. If you can find a Bible story of bad memory like this, let me know.
        But there are many references urging people not to forget God and His blessings. Deuteronomy 6:12 says, “Be careful that you do not forget the Lord who bought you out of Egypt.”  Psalm 103:2 tells us, Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all His benefits.” I have forgotten some important things in my life and ministry, a task or event I missed because I hadn’t written it down, or read it on the calendar or remembered which day (or even slept through it). It hurts when you realize your forgetfulness has caused someone trouble or embarrassment.
        We can take comfort that God will not forget us, but that He will forget our sins. In Hebrews 10:17 God personally assures us, “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.” God is not someone we have invented. He is who He is, the great “I AM” who has created us and watches over us each day. His forgiveness means He forgets what sins we have committed, but He will not forget His mercy towards us.
        No matter what happens today, remember that God holds you in the palm of His hand and wants to make sure you have all you need. Give thanks we have His promise never to leave us nor forsake us.
Thank You, Lord, for remembering us in Your mercy,

Rev. Bob Tasler. www.bobtasler.com

No comments: