Sunday, December 22, 2019

OUR GREATEST CHRISTMAS GIFT


        Christmas is a time for receiving amazing gifts. A man had two sons, Davie, age seven, and Joey, age four. On Christmas Day one year his two rosie-cheeked boys came into the house looking very serious. Davie stood in front of his father and said, "Daddy, I need to talk to you." "Okay, Davie,” said the father, putting down his book. “What's on your mind?" 
        Davie said, "I'm a big boy now, right, Daddy?” "You sure are.” said his father. “Is Everything okay?” The boy said nervously, "Daddy, I’m a big boy and I don't want you to call me Davie anymore. I want you to call me Dave. And I don't want to call you Daddy any more, just Dad. It’s what big boys do.“ Having said this, Davie relaxed.
        The father smiled and said, "That will be fine. I would like to call you Dave, or maybe even David sometimes. And I look forward to your calling me Dad. Just don't call me 'the old man.’ Okay?" Dave smiled and said, "You bet, Dad, and thanks!” And he ran outside.
        But little Joey came closer and said, “Daddy, I still want to call you Daddy, okay?“ “You bet, Joey,” Daddy said, watching the little fellow run outside. Hearing the boys squealing in the yard, the father smiled at his wife and said, “I think we just got another big Christmas present, Dear.” 
        For the next days and weeks, every time David had anything to say, he would begin it with "Dad”. Even with simple things like, “Dad, what are we having for supper?” Or,  “Dad, can you help me?” And Dad and Mom would often smile at each other or even whisper, “Christmas present”!
        The boys grew up well and married, having families of their own. But their father had health problems, and in his eightieth year, he had a severe heart attack. On the last night David saw him alive, he started for the door, but then he turned and kissed his father and said, "I love you Daddy.” His father weakly smiled. "I love you too, Davie.” Those were their last words to each other.
        My parents taught me my first prayer which I later taught my two sons. “Abba, Father, amen,” they helped me pray. “Abba” is an Aramaic word for “Daddy”, a tender word that even Jesus used in prayer to His Father. 
        The night before He died on the cross, Jesus asked for release from His coming suffering: “Abba, Father, all things are possible for You… Yet not my will but Yours be done.” Apostle Paul also prayed, “Abba Father” in his letters (Romans 8:15, Galatians 4:6) 
         We are God’s children, no matter what our age. So we, too, can pray, this Christmas, “Abba, Father, amen.” 

It could be one of our best gifts to God this Christmas.

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com



No comments: