Monday, February 10, 2020

FINDING WHAT WE'VE LOST


        Among common events that happen to us all are losing things. We thought that item was in that place, but it’s no longer there. Or we just saw or used that thing, but now we can’t find it. Or we formerly could do a certain things, but now we’ve lost the ability. Whenever there’s a loss, a part of life seems gone and we fear we’ll never get it back. 
        This morning I opened a small notebook and set it down. But when I straightened up my desk, I couldn’t find it. In just a couple of hours, it is nowhere to be found! Carol and I have looked everywhere in our small house - inside things, under and behind things, in garbage and behind drawers, in all the expected and unexpected places, but so far it is nowhere to be found. We can replace the notebook, but not all the information inside. I’m sure I will find it, but where? What happened to it?
        Some losses happen so quickly we are shocked. A widow said recently, “How can he be gone? He was hardly sick a day in his life and he just fell over.“ She knew what she’d lost and why, but now life would be so different. How could she adjust to her loss?
        Jesus tells us stories about losing and finding. A shepherd lost a lamb and a woman lost a coin. Both did what they could - he searched for the lamb until he found it, or she cleaned house until the coin was found. He also told of a son who left his father for loose living and almost starved to death. That son finally returned home, hungry but wiser. In all these stories, the lost was found, and the finding brought great joy. 
        Luke 15, the shepherd told his friends, “Rejoice with me for I have found my lost sheep.” and the woman told her friends, “Rejoice with me for I have found my lost coin.” Jesus also says, “So also there is rejoicing in heaven among the angels when one sinner repents of sin and returns to God.” (Luke 15:10)
        God knows His people and our needs. He grieves when we stray and is alarmed when we live dangerously and get lost. He never stops looking for us, and seeks our return, joyfully holding us close. But God will not force us to stay with Him. We gives us choices and He lets them be ours to make. 
        May we all learn from our losing and ever hold fast to the way that leads to eternal life.

Today I’ll just keep on looking for my notebook.

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: