Tuesday, October 16, 2007

MAKING ROOM FOR GOD

The Rockies have won the National League pennant! It's an exciting time to live in the Denver area, though also being Red Sox fans is making life at the Tasler home a little conflicted.

Few folks may know that the Colorado Rockies baseball team is perhaps the only team in pro sports to have a paid chaplain on staff. To have all the excitement of a baseball World Series contender, and then to note how some of the Rockies players simply thank God for the opportunity they have.... Well, it's a great time to live in Colorado!

Yesterday it was relief pitcher Matt Herges whose words of faith helped us understand why these Rockies seem to have their heads and their hearts in the right places. This is his witness below, from Tuesday's Rocky Mountain News.

"(Manager Clint) Hurdle called on veteran Matt Herges to replace Morales. Herges pitched two shutdown innings to earn the win that made his team champions of the National League for the first time.  (Herges), a journeyman who has pitched for every team in the NL West, is having perhaps his finest season. "Someone is showing mercy on me, let's put it that way," the veteran said after the Rocks won the Division Series (last night).

"There's favor that's thrown on me and I know it's from my Father in heaven. But I don't deserve it, I know that, and like I keep saying, I'm humbled by it. "I'm grateful that Clint gives me the ball. That's all you want as a reliever, especially in my situation, begging for a job this winter, getting a job on a favor because I knew (Rockies vice president of baseball operations) Bill Geivett. I'm humbled beyond belief by it."

For those expecting something here more spiritual, I hope you will pardon this mention of baseball. I have always said God really doesn't care about sports, or how I or anyone else play them. But maybe I'm wrong. For sure it's refreshing to hear that a successful, almost miraculous, team has made room for God. And it's good even to hear the secular newspapers write about it.

Go Rockies!

No comments: