Thursday, June 19, 2008

LESSON IN TRUST

A number of years ago I loaned a complete stranger $5. We were standing in line in the afternoon at the local DMV office (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) which had dozens people hoping the line wouldn't close before they got what they needed.

I was about third person back when the man in front of me became agitated. He turned around and said, "Excuse me, sir, but I'm short of funds. Could you loan me $5? I promise to mail it back to you just as soon as I get home. I need to renew my driver's license, because we're taking a trip and leaving tomorrow morning."

I seemed to recall having done something like that a time or two, and so I loaned him the $5. He wrote down my home address, thanked me, got his license and left. I pretty much kissed that money goodbye, but a few days later I got a letter with a note of thanks and a fiver. It's nice to know there are some honest people around!

Most folks today would say it's a little crazy to trust a stranger, but sometimes it seems right. Carol and I are in Bozeman, Montana, the next few weeks and will be meeting lots of strangers. Now it's true people at Airstream Rallies are not strangers for long, but every day we will run into hundreds of faces we've never seen before. And I hope they all have enough money in their pockets!

Somehow this all reminds me of the awesome grace of God. He loves us without any reassurance that we'll care. He forgives us, knowing full well that the majority of people in the world will reject Him. And He knows that most of His redeemed people will make promise after promise and not fulfill them.

But still He loves and still he forgives. He sent His only Son to be our Savior. God doesn't wait until we're worthy of His grace, nor does He ask for proof of our intent or any promissory notes for the things He gives us. He just loves and gives, because He knows we need it.

That's a great thought for the day, don't you think?

No comments: