Tuesday, July 21, 2009

WONDERFULLY MADE

They hauled away my old friend yesterday. Ten years ago I was given a huge old Kodak copier and it printed bulletins very well most of the time. Finally a copier repairman told me not to call him, that no one would work on it any longer. Yet without a repairman it somehow kept making copies until the print finally faded away. 

I called around to see if a recycler would take it, but no one wanted what once cost thousands and was the best and most durable model ever made. Its counter said 753,542 when it quit. It could have gone several million, but it was dead and no repairman would even look at it.

I rolled it into my garage and spent time every day taking it apart, putting the pieces into boxes and placing them on the curb for the garbage men. Twice I helped them toss the heavy parts into their truck, rewarding them with bottles of water as they hauled away pieces of Old Faithful. Yesterday they hauled away the last of the ransacked frame and I thanked them profusely.

(Did I ever tell you that garbage men are among my favorite people because they remind me of Jesus forgiving my sins? But that's another story...)

That old machine was amazing. Who invented it? It weighed 200+ pounds, had over 400 tiny bolts and a mile of fine wire. How did they make it work? How many mistakes did they make before they got it right? And everything in it was for one purpose only, to copy a page in black and white. All the metal and plastic and screws and wires and boxes of toner combined to make thousands of copies, all of them long forgotten.

Then I thought of my own body. It's getting a bit worn, but it still does dozens of things every day, some of them fairly well yet. It stands, walks and talks, uses arms to work and legs to get around, remembers and dreams in color, makes music and creates and prays. It does ten thousand more things than that old copier despite being much older. Pretty amazing!

Now no one with intelligence would ever say that old copier just happened along one day. Every single human being on this planet would agree that someone designed it and manufactured it. That's just common sense. Everyone knows those things don't just appear, no matter how long we waited.

But most all of those same millions of "intelligent" humans would insist, yes, demand I believe, that my human body evolved by accident. No copy machine could ever evolve, they say, not in a gazillion years. But human beings did, oh yes, absolutely! It just took lots of time.

How foolish people are to deny we are products of a Divine Creator. How silly we are to think nuts and bolts must be invented, but bodies just happen. How arrogant not to believe in God the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.

Some day when they haul away my old dead body in a box, people may remember some of what it did. But few will ever fully realize the miracle of how it came to be, how it lived, thought, breathed, ate, sang, loved and had faith in its Creator. 

"I will praise You, O God, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
(Psalm 139:14)

No comments: