Monday, March 22, 2010

SURPRISE REUNION

Have you ever met someone you weren't expecting, and it was a wonderful event? I have a great story to tell about how this happened to me the Friday before last.

Carol and I were on a short trip with another couple. Instead of driving it in one day, we decided to take two days, staying overnight along the way. Fellow traveller Dan booked us into a motel and said he'd pay for both rooms since we were driving our car. Dan checked us in so I didn't talk to the motel receptionist.

Later that night, he spoke with her in the computer room and discovered she was from Minnesota -- Windom, in fact. When he told her I was also from Windom, she asked my name and nearly fainted. It was my cousin Jodi behind the counter, and we had not seen each other in 25 years. She was living with her sister Bev, so we cousins had a mini-reunion and spent the evening reminiscing. And we did it just in time, since Jodi was moving to another city in a few days.

There were lots of "ifs" here -- if we'd have made the whole trip in one day, if Dan had chosen another motel, if he hadn't gone to the computer room, if we'd have come a few days later, if Jodi had that day off -- if, if, if. But the Lord brought us together after all those years. He really can be a God of surprises.

I often wonder if we'll be surprised at whom we'll see in heaven. Will we be shocked or pleased? Will others be as surprised to see us as we are to see them? Or will any of these earthly concerns even matter then? I believe heaven will be a wonderful reunion, and we'll be only pleased at who is there. Heaven will have none of the pettiness like this earth, and we will be surrounded by the greatness of God's mercy and joy.

It was also a joy to hear Jodi speak of her Christian faith. We even spoke a Bible passage together, Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." I don't recall us talking to about God when we were young, but our faith now gives us a bond we didn't have before.

I hope Jodi and I can meet again soon, and one day be in heaven together!

No comments: