Monday, January 3, 2011

RESOLUTIONS 2011

My Arizona friend, Pastor Fred, had a great New Year's Day sermon and in it suggested some interesting New Year's resolutions: (1) Eat more - gain 30 pounds if you want - others are doing it, (2) Stop exercising - you won't really do it anyway, (3) Read less and watch more TV - that's what most people really want to do, and, (4) Procrastinate more - in fact, put off all your resolutions until next year.

So, I've decided these four are going to be my New Year's Resolutions for 2011, and I'm starting with #4.

(For these next thoughts, I thank Joe Stowell) Have you ever thought about the value of looking back? Some experts tell us to forget the past and forge ahead, which is usually good advice. But rearview mirrors can be very useful, especially if we use them to see what God has done in our lives. Look at the people He's brought into your life and how they've blessed you! Look at the places you've been and progress you've seen! Consider the resources and talents the Lord has given you. Even some of the pain and difficulties you've had have helped make you stronger.

As we reflect on God's blessings of the past year, you and I can also look forward to His help in the days to come. God has blessed us before, and He will do it again. Psalm 92:4 says, "You, Lord, have made me glad... I will triumph in the works of Your hands."

What happens to us in life is not just a matter of chance (or luck or skill or good fortune, etc.). The Lord has assisted us, directed events of our lives and managed the outcome faithfully. Looking in the rearview mirror this time of year can give us a good picture of God's good work in our lives.

Looking ahead, though, isn't as clear. We're not sure what will come. Sometimes the road ahead seems foggy, twisted and scary. As we move into the New Year of 2011, look again in the rearview mirror of the year gone by. Hopefully you will be able to understand what Jesus meant when He said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you. Thus we can say, The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid." (Hebrews 13:5-6)

With the promise of God's presence and His help in mind, you and I can move ahead into 2011 confident that God will be with us. And in Jesus, He will love us, no matter what.

What resolutions have you made for 2011?

No comments: