Monday, February 7, 2011

I'M JUST TOO BUSY

Grandma was visiting her son and his family, and after lunch was playing with her granddaughter Rachel. At one point, Rachel got up from the midst of all her toys and announced she was going outside. Grandma said, “But Rachel, you need to put away your toys first.” Without missing a beat, Rachel replied, “I don’t have time,” and ran through the door and outside.

Rachel had just turned three! She was definitely not running on a tight schedule, so from whom did she learn to say that? From her parents, of course. Maybe she even heard Grandma say it.

I wonder if God might sometimes be surprised when He hears our responses to His requests. Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:28, “Come to me all you who work and are tired, and I will give you rest.” We, of course, find all kinds of reasons not to. “I’m really busy today, Lord.” “I have so many important things planned.” “This is not a good time.” “I’m sure I’ll have more time later on.”

I wonder what God thinks of our schedules. (Yes, He really does have the ability to see what we do each day – He is God, you know!) If you think about it, He doesn’t really ask that much of us, just an hour or two to worship Him each week, and maybe a little time for prayer. All He’d like is time for us to rest with Him awhile from our busy schedules, a time to pick up our toys and give thanks we have them.

I wonder what God thinks when we leave Him out of our week. Or when we do things that are so bad for us. God says, “Be holy, because I am holy,” and we say, “But I have more fun things to do!” and run outside. Then later on we when get tired of our life, when the aches and pains hurt, or when we wonder what we’ve accomplished in life and life seems so empty, maybe then we think of God.

Remember what Jesus said: “Come to me all you who work and are tired, and I will give you rest.” Maybe His kind of rest is better. Maybe it will last longer, or will make us stronger and refreshed for the coming day. Maybe God really does know more than we do (Is that possible?). I wonder if Rachel eventually came back inside. (or if she eventually picked up her toys!)

Okay, God, I have some time now. What would you like to do?

No comments: