Monday, September 19, 2011

TRUST IN JESUS CHRIST!

In a well-known children's book, someone says: "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." Have you heard that phrase before? The principle character from Lewis Carol's classic children's book spoke those words, Alice, from Alice in Wonderland. Then this wise but confused little girl asks, "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"

This reminds me of the true story about Dr. Albert Einstein who lost his ticket and was searching for it as he rode on the train. The conductor assured him not to worry, that he surely must have bought one, but Einstein kept looking for his ticket. Finally, the conductor said, "Sir, don't worry - we know who you are." Einstein responded quite firmly, "I know who I am also, sir, but I don't know where I am going!" It is possible to be brilliant, yet not know where you are going.

I wonder how many people reading this WEEKLY MESSAGE know where they are going. I say this not in jest or sarcasm, but in sincerity. It seems to me that more and more people in our nation do not really know where they are going. They may have a good idea where they are or what they are doing, but not what is coming, nor whom they should follow. I wonder how many would echo Alice's words, "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"

And I wonder who will step up with God's answer: "TRUST IN JESUS CHRIST!"

Ann Graham Lotz, daughter of Rev. Dr. Billy Graham, is in the news again with her straight forward expression of Christian faith. On CBS's "Early Show" on Sept. 13, she said, "I say God is also angry when he sees something like this (the 9-11-01 disaster).  I would say also for several years now Americans in a sense have shaken their fist at God and said, 'God, we want You out of our schools, our government, our business, and we want You out of our marketplace.' And God, who is a gentleman, has just quietly backed out of our national and political life, our public life, removing His hand of blessing and protection. We need to turn to God first of all and say, 'God, we're sorry we have treated You this way and we invite You now to come into our national life. We put our trust in You. We have put that we trust You on our coins, and now we need to practice it."

Ms. Lotz' thoughts should be pondered by all believing Christians. She also believes Christ will return "In our generation," although I struggle with this in light of Christ's words of Matthew 24:36, "No one knows that day nor hour, not even the angels in heaven or the Son, but only the Father." Ms. Lotz' warning can remind us all to be ready by faith in Jesus, no matter what the time is.

If I am ready by faith, then I need fear nothing that is to come. I pray this for all of you.

No comments: