Tuesday, November 8, 2011

RECHARGED IN PAIRS

Carol and I returned to Arizona over the weekend and found lots of things to do - cleaning, unpacking, shopping, and setting up housekeeping. There were people in the office to see about mail and billing, and park friends to notify we were back. Sunday we worshipped at Trinity Lutheran and greeted our church friends there. It's always fun to get back to our Arizona winter home.

And there are always a few surprises. One was that my golf cart wouldn't run because its batteries were completely discharged. (Did I leave the lights on?) I hooked up my 36 volt charger to get some "juice" back in its six battery system, but found that when all the batteries are dead, the big charger won't work. There needs to be some small amount of electrical charge in the system to make the big charger "kick in."

I asked around and someone suggested I try my regular car battery charger to charge each battery. So I set that charger to "6 volt charge" and tried charging individual batteries, but that didn't work either. Then I found a website that said I should use the 12 volt setting and charge sets of two batteries (six times two still equals twelve).

That worked! After about an hour of 12 volt charging on pairs of two six volt batteries, they all had enough amperage that the 36 volt charger kicked in and got them all up to full charge. By yesterday afternoon, "Old Blue," my 1980 convertible Club Car, was charging down the streets at top speed - 15 mph! And all because its batteries need to get some charge in pairs, but not alone.

It's kind of like our relationship with God. Jesus once said, "Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) In Luke 10, He also sent out his disciples in pairs to do His work. Jesus knew that alone we can falter and fade, but in pairs we have more strength.

People seem to work better in pairs. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 says, "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!"

When it comes to those big batteries, two charge up better than one. And while one person alone can accomplish some good things, but sometimes two people are better together.

Do you suppose that is why God gave us marriage? And good friends?

No comments: