Friday, January 25, 2013

MAY YOU HAVE ENOUGH

Do you have enough in life? How much do you need? When is enough, enough? 
An elderly mother and her daughter were saying a tearful goodbye at an airport. As she boarded the plane the mother said, "I love you and I wish you enough." A fellow passenger overheard this and later on the plane asked the woman why she had said, "I wish you enough." She replied, "It is a custom in our family to say this when parting with loved ones. When we say 'I wish you enough' we are wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them." Then the mother recited the following:

"I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear larger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye."

For most of my ministry in my wedding services, I have prayed for the couple these words adapted from the bridal prayer of Rev. Louis B. Evans. "Give them enough joys to keep them hopeful and enough trials to keep them faithful. Give them enough happiness for daily joy and enough sorrow for daily trust. Give them enough strength for persistence and enough tears for tenderness."  

Do you have enough of what is important in your life? If you want more of anything, is it worthwhile? Will it be lasting or will it sustain you? In John 14:8, Phillip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus did show His disciples what God the Father is like, for he said, "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30), and again, "Whoever has seen Me has seen the Father." (John 14:9)

Jesus, the Son of the Father, willingly gave His life on the cross for us, so that we can have enough of what we really need. May you this day have enough faith, hope and love, through Jesus Christ, to sustain you, so that you may be blessed by God in the life that is yet to come.

With faith in Christ, you already have enough!

No comments: