Tuesday, February 26, 2013

GETTING UP AGAIN

There are times in life when winning is not the goal as much as just finishing. I wasn't much of an athlete in high school, and the time I got the most applause from a crowd was when I did my worst. I was running the low hurdles on a cinder track, and halfway through the race lost my balance and fell down. I got up, cleared a couple more hurdles and fell down again. I limped across the line to a surprising amount of applause. I know it was because I finished, but they were probably relieved they wouldn't have to see me fall again. My trophy that day was the cinder in my legs.
Being a winner in life may only be getting up when you fall or keeping going when you are behind. Itzhak Perlman, maestro violinist, once had a string break in the midst of an orchestral solo, but he finished the piece anyway, playing with only three strings and adjusting notes as he played. He later said, "Sometimes it is the artist's task to find out what music you can still make with what you have left." That's a great thought from a man who has never walked normally due to childhood polio.

Sometimes it is our task to do our best with what we still have left. Perhaps you have taken a fall in life in the form of a huge mistake, a terrible decision, or a time when cinders got into your legs. Then it was up to you to get up again, admit your mistake, take responsibility for your decision, and keep on going. If so, then you were not a failure. 

We all fail in life, and God knows we do. He sees us fall, hitting the track on our face or tripping over our own feet. Then He is there to pick us up again. He doesn't usually stop us from falling, nor does He promise it won't happen again. But if it does, He will be there for us. 

Jesus said, "Come to me, all who are weary and tired, and I will give you rest." His rest will really refresh us, for with it will come a new start. Jesus loves us no matter what. His love will never fail us. 

Today may you find the strength to get up again and the joy to know your Good Lord will help you get going again. 

"Find out what music you can still make with what you have left." 

No comments: