Tuesday, June 11, 2013

THANK A TEACHER


This past week Carol and I attended the funeral of a retired Lutheran School Teacher. During the sermon, my pastor said, "Never underestimate what God has done through your life." When he repeated it again, I realized how important his thought was. Never think God can't do something wonderful through your acts, teaching or witness. He does every day.

Sometimes we think that wonderful things are only done by others, especially the talented, the trained, or the clever. But God speaks wonderful words, does fine deeds, and instills lasting values in people through the lives of His men, women and children, and especially those who live their Christian Faith. 

I attended Country School for Grades one through six, from 1951-1957. Great Bend District #2 Rural School was built on a corner six miles from the nearest town with one main room that often held thirty students, plus two tiny cloak rooms, a small library and a big basement where we played when it was too cold to go outside. It had no indoor plumbing, but we didn't expect there would be. Bathrooms were used outside and drinking water was carried from the farm across the road. Their telephone was our only connection with the world during the school day.

But it wasn't the charm of a one-room building that made Country School important; it was our teachers. They imparted the knowledge we needed, and they opened young minds to the wonders of history, arithmetic, reading, writing, spelling and science. 

Sometimes our teachers taught us several years, and sometimes several months, such as one special teacher who left after Christmas because she was "in a family way." I won't embarrass her by giving her name, but I do want to say, that after all these years, she still sends me an occasional card for my birthday or Christmas. At such times, I sit down and write her a short letter telling her what I am doing now. And I hope she always hears me say, "Thanks!" 

This wonderful lady, as well other teachers I've had, helped nurture a lifetime of learning. When I was older they let me teach the younger students spelling or the arithmetic tables (that's how one teacher teaches six classes). I wonder if anyone reading this also spent time teaching - or learning - in a one-room school. I wonder if all you teachers realize how you have affected the lives of your students. 

As my pastor said of that faithful teacher, "Never underestimate what God has done through your life." Teachers! It's how God gets much of His work done. "Show me Your ways, O Lord, and teach me Your paths." (Psalm 25:4)

If you can read and understand this, thank a teacher!

No comments: