Monday, August 12, 2013

A WILD KINGDOM


What inspires us to make changes in our life? Is it what we see others do, or what is in our personal nature? Can we be a positive influence on others, depending on what they see us do? What causes us to do the things we do or make the decisions we make?

About a month ago new neighbors moved in next door. Like us they are a retired couple, so we are glad we'll have others around home during the week. They're friendly and when I'm outside in the yard, we always greet each other. He enjoys being outside and is always doing something to improve his yard or arrange his garage, activities with which I'm familiar.

On the other side of us live friendly neighbors too, but their yard is not a high priority. He mows the front yard a few times a summer, but they have yet to mow their backyard since moving in five years ago. It's getting a bit like the wild kingdom back there with dead branches, tree roots heaving up the lawn and tall weeds I don't recognize. At first this irritated me, but then I realized it was his decision, not mine, and it's better to be friendly than critical.

So I have one neighbor who's tidy and one who's not. I keep our yard as trimmed and green as I can make it for this climate. I don't believe seeing our trimmed yard is going to influence either neighbor much, because the condition of their yards shows their attitudes about yard work. My wild kingdom neighbor just got married recently, and perhaps this will have an affect on his back yard. We'll wait and see.

So, what inspires us to make changes in our life? Is it what we see in others, or what is in our personal nature? Jesus said in Matthew 5:16, "Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." He believed that people can change what they do and also what they believe when they see Christians displaying God-pleasing virtues. 

I don't know whether or not my wild kingdom neighbor will begin to keep up his yard better, but it won't affect how I keep ours up, and it won't change my attitude towards him. Kind words and acts will show our faith more than how green our lawn is. Being a good neighbor in word and deed will show our faith in action. 

How are you letting your light shine in your neighborhood?

No comments: