Monday, June 2, 2014

BEING WORN DOWN


Keith Green was a rock musician who became a Christian singer/songwriter, and he wrote some of the most challenging Christian songs in the 1970's. His career as a singer and evangelist was cut short when he died in an airplane crash in 1982.

Most of his songs were filled with such excitement and power and faith that after hearing them, their melodies and words would remain with you for days. One of his songs was in the form of a prayer that reflected his weariness at life.

  My eyes are dry, my faith is old, my heart is hard, my prayers are cold.
   But I know how I ought to be, alive to You and dead to me.
   So what can be done to old heart like mine?
   Soften it up with oil and wine. The oil is You, Your spirit of love.
   Please wash me anew in the wine of Your love.  (Sparrow Records)

The sentiments of that song remind me of Matthew 13:15 where Jesus said, “For this people's heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them'.”

The cares of life can wear us down. Making a living, raising a family or trying to achieve our goals can leave us exhausted. At all such times in life, we need God's Word, as well as Christian fellowship and prayer to renew us. We need to be washed anew in the blessing of God's love.

That's why it's important to seek the gentle grace of the Holy Spirit to soften up our hard hearts. God's Word and Holy Communion are God's means of giving us His gentle grace. May God give warmth to our cold prayers and new life to our dry faith.

Thank You, Lord, for Your Word of grace in my life. Amen

No comments: