Monday, March 30, 2015

LEARNING TO DRIVE

        I learned to drive out in an alfalfa field. My Dad took me out there one day in his old Chevy pickup and showed me how the gear shift worked and how to use the clutch and gas pedal. I didn’t do very well at first, stalling and jerking a lot, but after an hour or so I could operate it fairly well. Until I received my driver’s license, I only drove on gravel roads around home. My brother taught me how to drive on ice one winter day on a frozen lake. Learning to turn into a slide has helped me often on slippery roads.
        I took one lesson with our school Driver’s Training teacher and then failed my driving test with a score of 46. The officer told me to take more lessons, so  I did. My Dad drove with me around the country roads and in town until I was better. Two weeks later I passed with a score of 80.
        Fortunately, that’s not how my sons learned to drive. I did take each of them to a large empty parking lot and showed them some basics, but they learned to drive from a qualified instructor. Every driver discovers the written test is easier to pass than the driving test. A twelve year-old could probably read the book and pass the written test, but getting behind the wheel and driving is harder.
        This is also true in our Christian faith. We can learn the basics of the Commandments, Prayer, Holy Communion or the Creed. But putting our learning into practice requires a lot more. Knowing the information is basic, but living and making daily decisions from the Word puts our faith to the real test. Living the Christian life requires more than mere knowledge, it requires faith. A qualified instructor can help, too.
        In Matthew 11:29, Jesus said, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me.” When we place our trust in Him and try our best to follow His will, we will learn a better way of life. Fortunately for us all, the Holy Spirit will help us put Christ’s Word into action.

Do you remember your first time behind the wheel?

No comments: