Monday, April 13, 2015

A DEAD MAN'S WISH

Do you remember your first car? Do you remember how much it cost, its shape, model or color? I was thinking of this recently, and it led me to recall all the cars I’ve owned in my years of driving. Twenty-one cars may seem like a lot, but nearly all of them were used and often didn’t last long.
Recently there was a television series called “Strange Inheritance” in which each show told of the amazing things people have left to their heirs. One episode told of a wealthy man’s collection of 3,000 cars, most of which were unique and valuable. Estimates were that this collection was worth over one hundred million dollars.
But the collector had requested in his will that the collection not be broken up or sold off piecemeal. So what could his heirs do with them? Even if you are wealthy, what do you do with 3,000 valuable cars? How could you care for them or even store them?
Over the years I have been asked by well-meaning people to do things after their death that I’ve not been able to fulfill. I have also helped a few people deal with a final request that has placed them in difficult situation. In nearly every case I have urged them to do what was best for them, not only for the deceased person.
It is best that people not place their heirs in a quandary after they are gone. The request of a dying person may seem a sacred thing, but if a certain special request presents major problems to the heirs, they should fulfill it only if they are able, or it is legally required, and in the best interests of all. Not all requests need to be fulfilled.
Jesus invited a man to follow, but he said, “Let me first go and bury my father.” Jesus responded, “Follow me and let the dead bury their dead.” (Matthew 8:22) Following Jesus is more important than following the wishes of someone who has died. When possible, honor your loved one’s wish, but only when it does not endanger something more important.

What is the best way to honor those who have gone before us?

No comments: