Monday, June 27, 2016

GIVING GOD YOUR BEST

        I have always admired accomplished musicians who have learned to master their instruments and make wonderful music. Whether it’s the violin, trumpet or even bagpipe, hearing a professional musician perform is a thrilling thing. I once heard a husband-wife tuba duet during a concert of the Denver Brass. I have a CD of that performance and enjoy their duet each time I hear it. I am told most professional musicians still rehearse daily.
        Midori is a Japanese violinist with a fine international reputation because she still practices. Because of her rigorous schedule of 100 or more performances each year all over the world, Midori practices an average of five hours a day. “I have to practice for my job. It’s not really the hours but the quality of the work that needs to be done. Students may play and say it’s practicing. But if you have your textbook open, it doesn’t mean that you are studying,” she said.
        In college I was required to take piano lessons for two quarters, and was trained by Barbara Nymark, a petite woman with very small hands. One day I heard her playing in a practice studio and marveled at how well her tiny hands made such fine music on the keyboard. She later told me practice was required because her hands were so small. She said, “If I don’t keep them working, they won’t do what I need them to do.”
        The same principle could be applied to our faith in Jesus. Paul once wrote young Timothy, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15)
        Paul was telling Timothy the importance of working hard at being a new pastor. “Do your best,” he told him, as one “who correctly handles the word of truth.” Working to improve requires continual effort and leaves little room for carelessness. Doing our best should also relate to our relationship with God. He has given us His best through His Son Jesus. We can give Him our best, also.

To what are you giving your best efforts?

No comments: