Monday, November 14, 2016

EMPTY THE ARCHIVES!

        My iPhone kept bugging me about its lack of storage space that I finally did something about it. I deleted unneeded emails and texts and especially dozens of photos -duplicates, silly things I can’t remember why I took them, mistaken photos of feet or when the button stuck and gave me ten shots of the same group. I deleted a bucketful junk, leaving only the good stuff and assuming this action would give my phone lots of storage space. 
        But, alas, it registered the storage as full as before. I tried other things that didn’t work, and almost lost some valuable information. Finally I resorted to an anonymous online expert as to what to do. He said the useless stuff was still there and I should empty the archives. He also wondered why I got a phone with so little storage, and I told him I hated junk in closets. He said just empty the archives. So I did and suddenly I had ten times the space I had before. Actually that conversation never took place - I only read what others had written the expert, but knew he was talking to me.
        There are times in life when we may feel like we can’t get rid of sins that jam up our lives. That’s because we really never get rid of them. We don’t ask forgiveness, just look the other way, try to forget they’re there or hope we won’t do them again. But we must get rid of them.
        Paul tells us in Colossians 3:8-9, “You must get rid of all such things these: anger, rage, malice, slander and filth language. Do not lie to each other since you have taken off your old self and have put on the new self which is being renewed.” Jesus is more than happy to get rid of them for you. Just ask Him. 
        After last week’s election and its unintended consequences of rioting, irrational anger, finger-pointing and childish giggling or weeping, all of us need to clean out our archives. We need to ask God to remove the trash that blinds us and stops up our ears. It’s time to act like adult Christians who face who we are, sin-filled people who need a Savior. It’s also time to start showing love to those with whom we disagree
        As Paul also said, “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father though Him” (3:17)

“May the God of peace sanctify us through and through.” (1 Thess. 5:23)


Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: