Monday, December 5, 2016

READY FOR THE UNEXPECTED?

        I hope you are observing Advent in some way, getting ready for Jesus’ first coming at Christmas, and also getting ready for His Second Coming. Getting ready is what Advent is all about.
        Living on the farm, my parents often had neighbors over for a visit. Our nearest neighbors were the Arndts just east of us, but my parents’ visited most often with the Olsens to the west of us. Recently I received an E-Mail from their daughter, Mavis. She periodically comments on my “Weekly Message”, and it’s fun to hear from her.
        There was a custom my parents had with the Olsens. For many years during the winter once a month they got together on Wednesday night to play cards. Evidently they had some sort of calendar of whose turn it was to be host.
        I recall one afternoon after chores Mom handing me a broom to sweep the kitchen. I asked if someone was coming and she said, “I think so, the Olsens.” I asked if she knew for sure if they were coming, and she said, “I want to be ready just in case they come.” I asked her, “Why don’t you call them on the phone?” “No need,” she said, cleaning the counter. “We’ll just be ready in case they come.”
        The Olsens did come that night for an hour of two of “Five Hundred” in the kitchen. I stayed in the dining room, reading or watching something on our snowy black and white Philco. I heard their laughter, smelled their coffee and Dad’s pipe, and was invited to the kitchen to eat something Mom baked before they left.
        Mom baked nearly every Wednesday, and Mrs. Olsen probably did too. And she probably cleaned her house on that special Wednesday, too, just in case the Taslers came over. Good neighbors always like to be ready, just in case.
        Advent is a time to be ready for the unexpected. Near the end of His ministry, Jesus several times told His disciples to keep watch, because He was going away and would return at a time they wouldn't expect.
         In Luke 12, He told them at story that ended, “Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them.”         Jesus, God’s Son, waiting on us because we were ready for Him - think of it! Being prepared for Christ’s return means having a faith that shows itself in worship and prayer and also in service to those in need.

How ready are you for Jesus’ return?

Rev. Bob Tasler
www.bobtasler.com

No comments: