Monday, February 20, 2017

SATISFIED WITH LIFE?

      I woke up early this morning and couldn’t sleep, so I grabbed my laptop and designed an Order Form for my book display at a Phoenix conference later this week. After Carol and I had a donuts with friends, for some reason I was led to start work on our taxes which took me well into the afternoon.
      I had a few visitors and late lunch of a sandwich with wine just before Carol came home from Chorus practice. After a short nap I booked some flights online for a summer trip, grilled pork chops for supper and sat down to watch the news and a movie. Only as it ended did I realize I hadn’t written my WEEKLY MESSAGE which is always a Monday task.
      So it’s late and I’m back at the laptop grumbling because I still must write. I love writing but dislike feeling forced to do it. I once complained of this to close friend, and he said he liked my stories even if I didn’t like writing them. Almost twenty-five years and I haven’t missed composing my 250+ words of the WEEKLY MESSAGE more than a dozen or so times. But I can’t seem to quit.
      250 words can say a lot. Some of the Bible’s important events (Jesus’ birth, temptation and baptism) are barely that long. The 23rd Psalm is less than half that long (117 words) and look how enduring it still is.
      We don’t need more words in our world; we just need to use them more wisely and carefully.  Scripture tells us God meets the needs of those who seek Him, “Those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing.” (Psalm 34:10)
      A devotional writer named Julie, now at home with the Lord, once wrote, “If today you’re thinking you need just a little bit more of this or that, consider the possibility that God has given you just enough.”

He is rich who is satisfied with what he has.
Rev. Bob Tasler  +  www.bobtasler.com

No comments: