Monday, September 18, 2017

IT IS HARD TO WAIT!

        I have always had a hard time waiting. Whether in my youth, my working years or now in my later years, I often struggle if I have to wait for something to happen.
        A recent minor waiting event occurred this summer after I filed an Amended Tax Return that promised a fairly large refund. I was told it would take time for the check to come, so I tried not to think of it. But still, every day when the mail came, I hoped and somewhat expected it would be there.
        Finally, four months after filing, the check came, but even though it’s in the bank, I still think of it when the mail comes. I will get over it, but it showed me that hope can linger even after the waiting is over. Waiting can make a mark upon a person, even if you are sure the hope will be fulfilled.
        But what about unknown fulfillment, when we don’t know if what we hope for will ever happen? How does a hostage deal with waiting when it’s unknown when or if release will come? How does a cancer patient deal with waiting when it’s unclear if remission will come?
        How does the young lover wait when it is unsure if Mr. Right or Miss Perfect will come into one’s life? How do Christians deal with waiting for Christ’s promised return when decades and centuries continue to pass after His promise to return?
        If there is a goal we trust will happen, the wait may be easier. But when there is no end in sight, the wait can drag us down and our hope can get chipped away until it is abandoned and forgotten.
        Then, as always, we must trust God for the result. The Psalms are filled with encouragement to wait with hope in God’s timing: “We wait in hope for the Lord.” (33:20), “I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits.” (130:5), “Hope in the Lord and keep His way.”(37:34) “Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” (31:24), “Put your hope in the Lord.” (130:7).
        Mere hopefulness for a better future gives us little. Waiting in hope for the Lord (Ps. 33:20) gives us confidence, courage, and strength for each day, because we trust our almighty God will give us what He has promised.

“Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” (Isaiah 49:3)

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: