Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A NEW NAME FROM GOD

         During the 1970s and 1980s, thousands of refugees came to America from Southeast Asia, a result of the Viet Nam war. Congregations all over were asked to help sponsor families or individuals, and my congregation sponsored a family of eleven from the country of Laos.
        Ly and Chanh Keohavong stepped off the plane in Fargo with their nine children one cold February day, and the children immediately wanted to know what the cold white stuff was under their feet. The following months were filled with many “firsts”: snow, first big house, big car (station wagon), English school, first shopping for groceries and warm clothes.
        One of the firsts for me was the baptism of ten in one service. Chanh soon had a baby whom I was asked to name. I named her Sarah, and later found that they had hoped my wife and I would adopt her, a custom among larger Lao families.
        They eventually moved to New Orleans, and I heard little of them until recently when Sarah, now mother of two, emailed me. She and I are in contact now and have renewed our special relationship. Sarah means “mother of nations,” (Genesis 17:16). She is the only child I have named other than my own.
        In Isaiah 43:1 God says, “I have called you by name; you are mine.” In Baptism, God gives us the name of His Son, CHRISTian. Our new name has the promise of a special relationship with God forever. What wonderful news for all nations!

Thank You, O Christ, for giving us Your holy name.

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: