Monday, October 1, 2018

REPAIR OR REPLACE?


        When there’s been damage, do you repair or replace? I guess it depends on what the damage is. Our lovely old juniper hedge was nearly all dead after last winter, the result of voles (field mice) using it for their winter residence and food pantry. 
        One guy said to remove and replace it would cost $1,000, but another guy (myself) said cut out the dead stuff, water it often and see if it would come back. I was sure they’d grow back, and my price was much better. I eventually came to my senses and replaced the hedge with new plants. It was a lost cause.
        Things can be replaced, but people can’t, not unless God is involved. When the world’s first people went bad, God decided to replace them in the flood, but that was a one-time thing. After that, God promised a Savior who would repair people, not replace them. He said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” (John 14:1) His rainbow was the symbol of his promise.
        Jesus Himself is our replacement for death caused by sin. Because He lived a perfect life in our stead, we are given a new relationship with God. Instead of deserving God’s wrath for our sins, we are given a new life. Jesus didn’t just forgive us, He recreated us!

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for giving us a new life!

Rev. Bob Tasler

No comments: