Monday, September 30, 2019

ARE YOU IN A HURRY?


        Does life seem to you like it’s speeding by? Does it seem people are rushing around but accomplishing little? Some years ago the musical group “Alabama” recorded a song with the that chorus says: “I’m in a hurry to get things done, Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun. All I really got to do is live and die, But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.” 
        I thought about those words on the way home from church yesterday. Ironically, the road home was I-25 through Denver, and even on Sunday noon it was a speedway. No matter how fast I drove or what lane I was in, other cars simply had to get around me. I was moving along well, even over the limit, but it was never fast enough. Some drivers were in a hurry to get somewhere and I wondered if they knew why.
        It’s been said there are two kinds of drivers: Idiots who drive too fast, and Morons who drive too slow. Which do you think you are? Or might you be a third kind - a Watchful driver who doesn’t let the others drive you. 
        Life only comes around once, so why rush through it? Hebrews 9:27 tells us, “It is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment.” That's a sobering thought! Perhaps we ought to slow down on the road of life and make sure we’re on the right path and try not to run over others on their path.
        Apostle Paul says, “If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or we die, we are the Lord’s.” (Romans 14:8). Jesus is the Lord. He is the One we need to follow. He gave His life for us that we might enjoy life with Him forever. Even if we crash on our journey, He is there to pick us up, dust us off and point us in the right direction.

Lord, help us slow down, and stay one the right road.

Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com

No comments: