Monday, April 9, 2018

BEING A DETERMINED PERSON


        A television news report on the problems refugees face told of a family hoping to return to their war-town country. The ten year-old daughter was featured who showed a determination rarely seen in one so young. She said, “When we go back, I’m going to visit my neighbors, and I’m going to play with my friends. My father says we don’t have a house there any more, but I told him, we will find one and fix it up to live in.”
        Some might think the girl is living a fantasy, and perhaps she is. But she had a goal, to return to her country and make a home there again. There is a place for determination and tenacity. When our faith is rooted in Jesus Christ and His love for us, we can do amazing things.
        Ruth and her mother-in-law Naomi were widows living in Moab, Ruth's country. When Naomi decided  to go back to Judea, she told her daughters-in-law to remain in Moab and find new husbands. Orpah, Naomi’s other daughter-in-law, stayed behind, but Ruth refused to leave Naomi. She said, “Don’t ask me to leave you. Where you go, I will go, and I will live with you and your people.” (Ruth 1:16 PBV)
        Naomi was also a determined woman. Back home in Bethlehem, she told Ruth to find a relative named Boaz and glean grain in his field so they’d have food. Ruth did that and God blessed Ruth and Naomi when Ruth become Boaz’ wife. Their descendants include King David and Jesus of Nazareth. When we trust in our Lord, even the most difficult situations can become a blessing.

Thank You, God, for giving hope to Your people.
Rev. Bob Tasler, www.bobtasler.com


No comments: