Monday, April 12, 2010

TENACIOUS PRAYER

I've been praying for a certain thing for several months now, and it hasn't happened yet. Every night I pray for it, and every day I think about it, wondering whether today will be the day when my prayer is answered. But so far it hasn't yet happened. It reminds me of a conversation I once had about prayer, specifically whether it really helps to ask God's help for specific situations. My friend thought it was best just to let God do it in His own good time, and not to bother Him with small things.

Jesus once told a story about a poor woman who went to a judge and asked him to fix a problem she had. The judge told her not to bother him, but she kept going back again and again with the same request. Finally the judge said, "I really don't care about this woman or her situation, but if I don't do something she will drive me crazy." So he did what she requested.

Jesus finished His story, saying, "And will not God bring about justice for His chosen ones, who cry out to Him day and night? Will He keep putting them off? I tell you, He will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:7-8)

There's something about Jesus comparing Himself with a cranky old man that's bothersome. But the point of His story is what's important - God eventually does answer our prayers, either yes or no. We just need to keep asking. You see, God's not a vending machine. You can't just pop in a prayer and out comes the answer. God's answers can also a way God teaches us patience and faith.

Those last words haunt me. "When the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?" Prayer takes faith. Prayer means trusting God can do anything, even take time to answer our "little" needs.

Remember that lame man who lay by the pool of Bethesda for 38 years, hoping to get into the water in time so he could be healed? Each time the angel stirred the waters, someone else got there ahead of him, but he kept going back anyway. Finally Jesus healed him while His disciples watched. That's why it took so long - so he could be an example of faith for all the ages to see.

I know God will answer my prayer, but I hope it won't take 38 years.

No comments: