Monday, May 3, 2010

TUNING UP FOR LIFE

I like to sing. Ever since I was a child, I've enjoyed singing, whether for myself, in church, or to entertain others. I learned early that "the urge to perform does not guarantee talent," so I've practice often to do it well. I tried learning the piano for accompaniment, but discovered I didn't play well, so I taught myself to play the guitar. It was easier and far lighter to carry around than a piano.

Back in the 1970's I bought two guitars, a twelve-string Conn and six-string Yamaha. Both have served me well, and though I like the full sound of the Conn, tuning 12 strings has always been a challenge. Last week I discovered something I should have had long ago - a guitar tuner. I've always thought I could tune it myself well enough, but I should have had a tuner from the start. 

That old Conn sounds better now than ever because it's finally in tune. It's older but better - something we all like to hear! With correct tuning it's even easier to play, and all because I used a tuning standard, a musical yardstick to measure how it should sound. It works better than when I tuned it by myself.

Some things in life take awhile to learn. Instead of doing everything my own way, I have found life is better when I follow something better than my own standards. The Bible's standards of behavior are always better than one's own. Psalm 119 verse 105 speaks to this: "Your Word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path."  I once broke a toe walking into a heavy chair one dark night. Two weeks of pain would not have been necessary if I'd have turned the lights on. 

God's Word is our Light. It tells us there's forgiveness for trying to live our own way. Jesus gives us a chance to start over. He forgives our sins and helps us do better the next time, but not if we don't reach out to Him. My tuner won't correct those guitar strings all by itself - I need to pick it up and use it. If you and I read and use the Bible, life can be better. If we ask the Lord Jesus, He'll help us do better the next time.

I think I'm going to enjoy that old Conn now more than ever!

No comments: