Wednesday, July 13, 2011

HAVE IT? THEN USE IT!

It's not enough just to have life's resources, talents or vision; you also need to use them. Possession is only half the equation; utilization is the other half.

Yesterday it rained where we live. The Weather Service had promised it, but we had no idea it would be so much. It's really green in Colorado this summer, and that's been nice for our lawns or gardens.

At 1:30 PM it started to rain and in just one hour, we'd been drenched by two full inches of rain, plus drifts of marble-sized hail everywhere. The lights flickered off and on, so we unplugged the computers and TV and watched God put on an impressive show with His wind, lightening, rain, hail and thunder.

Storms like this make me uneasy. We live downhill from other homes, and our location has periodically resulted in water in our basement. I've installed a "french drain," doubled the number of down spouts and, best of all, put in a sump pump at a critical location, all of which have kept our basement dry for four years. But at Carol's suggestion during the storm, I headed downstairs to check the sump pump. Not only was it not working, its groundwater container was filling fast and we were soon to have some of God's rain in our basement once again. I pulled out the pump, grabbed a pitcher and bailed water with gusto. I was truly grateful Carol had suggested checking it.

When the rain let up and the bailing brought the water level down, Carol continued while I checked the sump. It needed, not a new pump, but a new electric float-switch to make the pump do its work correctly. A quick trip to Home Depot and a fast repair put the sump back into action. As I look back on last night, I am giving praise to God for our dry basement. A nicely finished basement needs no wet carpet!

As I was bailing, I knew there must be a lesson there somewhere. Then it came: It's not enough just to have something, we must use it correctly. It's not enough just to be blessed, we must pass our blessings along. The pump was in fine condition, in the right place, ready to work. But it was useless if the automatic switch would not turn it on.

You and I might be wonderful, gifted Christian men, women and children, but if we don't pass along the faith gifts God has given us, what good are they? James 2:14 tells us, "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds?" Buried talents don't help anyone, only the used ones do.

"So faith without works, is dead." (like the pump, until switched on)

I INVITE YOU to Check out my recently published Kindle E-Bbooks
**NEW - "COUNTRY PREACHER" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BZL3V4
"DAILY WALK WITH JESUS" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050VRJX0

No comments: