Monday, April 30, 2012

BE STILL MY SOUL


Things in our world aren't always what they seem. We may read into the events of life what is not there. On Sunday Carol and I took our son and his family to a trendy Pizza Bistro, and I noticed some of the wait staff wearing T-shirts that said, "Legalize Marijuana." I suppose that message shouldn't have surprised me since the clientele was mostly young, but I didn't particularly like it. Then I re-read the T-shirt and realized it said, "Legalize Marinara." Not the green stuff, the red sauce - a clever slogan that caught my attention!

Things may not be what they seem in our daily life either. Our path of life may get incredibly bumpy. A loved one goes astray, or the doctor says it's cancer, or elected officials disappoint us, or financial worries threaten to overcome us. We may think, "This isn't the path I should be taking. There must be a better way than this!"

That is when we need to be reminded God is with us on the path. When you think your path of life is too steep or harsh, remember God knows the path you are on, and His Son has taken that path already. Matthew 28:20 tells us, "Lo, I am with you always, unto the end of the earth." Joshua 1:9 reminds, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

We can courageously take the path God has given us today, trusting He is with us each step and knows it will bless us. God knows what is on our path already and He will not lead us astray. Out of all possible paths, God knows the best one for us to take and He will be with us to the end.


As the beloved hymn says: 
Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side.  
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain. 
Leave to thy God to order and provide; 
In every change He faithful will remain. 
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend 
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

No comments: