Monday, November 26, 2012

OUR WINTER OF LIFE



You know, time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems like only yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet some days that was eons ago, and I wonder where all the time has gone.

I know that I lived those years, and I have memories of how it was back then, as well as some of my hopes and dreams. But, here it is, the winter of my life, and I am caught by surprise. How did I get here so fast? How did those years pass, and where did my youth go?

I remember well seeing older people and thinking they were far away from me, that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or even imagine what it would be like.

Yet, here it is. I move slower and see an older person in the mirror now. Most of my friends are retired and quite grey. Some are in better or worse shape than I, but we see each other's changes. We are no longer the ones we remember who were young and vibrant. Now we are those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.

Today I often find that just taking a shower or doing other normal things is a real accomplishment. And taking a nap is not a treat anymore, it's mandatory!  If I don't get enough rest on my own, I may fall asleep where I sit! It is strange to find myself in this new season of life, unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!

Yes, I have a few regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done, and some I should have or wish I would have. But indeed, there is so much I'm happy to have done. It's all a part of my lifetime, the one God gave me.

If you are not yet in your wintertime, be reminded that it will be here faster than you think. Whatever you would like to accomplish in your life, you'd best do them quickly. Don't put things off too long. Life goes by so fast, so do what you can today.

You see, you can never be sure when your winter will come. You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life. Live each day as it comes, and say all the things you want your loved ones to remember. Hope and pray they will appreciate and love you for all that you have done for them in all the years past.

Remember, it is faith, hope and love that make up your real wealth, not gold, silver or houses. Your life is God's gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to God and to those who come after. Live it well!


No comments: