Monday, October 7, 2013

KILLING JESUS


(Check out my new website: http://www.bobtasler.com. BOOKS MAKE GREAT GIFTS!)

I've just finished reading KILLING JESUS by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. It is quite good in its historical and factual narrative, as well as its respect for the Lord Jesus. I read a lot of material these days, but only what's enjoyable. If I don't like a book, I don't feel the need to finish it. But this new book, as well as their others, KILLING LINCOLN and KILLING KENNEDY, held my attention well.

The authors treat Jesus and His times reasonably factually and use more biblical references than I expected. O'Reilly has been criticized for saying that he felt inspired to write this work. Others were upset because he didn't state Jesus was the Messiah and treated Him as merely a historical figure. But that wasn't the book's purpose.

This book is neither theology nor exhaustive history. It is a presention of their simple findings for the public to examine. I believe readers will benefit by seeing the circumstances surrounding Jesus' lifetime, as well as what He endured at the hands of those jealous of His influence. Books that honor Jesus help people, whether they agree with Him or not.

What we say outlasts us. Someone asked me if I found enjoyment in writing my e-books and paperbacks these past few years. She wanted to know what my purpose was in writing, and I appreciated that question. People write for a reason, whether to inform, to entertain, to express personal views, or to leave something of themselves behind.

I would add a fifth reason - enjoyment. Some people like to write. It gives me pleasure to craft words into sentences that express my thoughts. Someone asked if I made much money writing, and I chuckled. Between expenses and the books I give away, I am glad if there's any pocket change leftover.

I read so much online or even in the newspapers that hasn't been well thought out, especially articles that contain spelling or grammatical errors. All writers make their share of mistakes, but I enjoy reading what others write and hope others will enjoy my writings as well.

I encourage you to write, if you feel so inclined. Amazon's "CreateSpace" offers simple and cost-free guidelines for new writers, and people need not worry that the world is getting too cluttered with books. It's nice to know some of your thoughts may be passed on to people today or future generations tomorrow.

One would think with all the emails I send out during the year, my writings would sell well. But new authors rarely have great success, and that's to be expected. Knowing I've written a few worthwhile things for the public is reward enough.

I urge you to read books, whether they are in print electronically or on paper. KILLING JESUS is a good book, and worth your time. God's Holy Bible is the best book of all, as Psalm 119:105 tells us, "Your Word is a lamp for my feet and a light to guide me."
Give thanks we still have freedom of speech in our nation!

No comments: