Monday, October 28, 2013

PREMIER MEMBERSHIP


"What are the advantages? What's in it for us?" People will ask this as they hear a salesman urging them to make a purchase, join a group or donate to a cause. "What do you get out of it? You will have special privileges as a Premier Member," says the announcer. "But will the advantages be worth the cost?" we ask as we decide what to do. There is always a membership cost to joining a group, unless that group is the Church, Family of God. 
Today on Facebook, I enjoyed seeing several baptismal photos of a little girl born to a young Christian couple I know. They were so proud and pleased to show their friends their tiny baby who had just received great eternal blessings as she was ushered into the Kingdom of God through the waters of Holy Baptism. 
Those pictures brought back memories of several baptisms when I was sponsor (Godparent) to children of family or friends. I thought of the host of little ones I had held as I sprinkled water on their little heads during Baptism in my ministry. I remembered especially the times I baptized my two sons, and later my three grandchildren. 
"What are the advantages of Baptism?" I was asked in an adult instruction class. The man had a good question. I could sense that if it was a mere formality for him, that he wasn't sure he wanted it. But when I told him that God provides eternal blessings of forgiveness, life and salvation through the water and Word, he became interested.
 
"Do I have to be baptized to be saved?" Another good question. "No," I said. "Faith in Jesus is what saves you, and not a holy ceremony. But if you trust Jesus as your Savior as you have said, would you want to do what He asks?" "Yes, of course," he said, "Remember that Jesus commands us to baptize all nations, and that includes you and me. The advantages of Baptism are eternal."
When a person is baptized, (s)he has special privileges as a Premier Member of the Family of God. The advantages of being in Gods Family far outweigh other costs. And your cost has already been paid. Jesus' death on the cross was the cost required for you and me to become members. Nothing more is required than what Jesus has already done for us. "Whoever believes and is baptized shall be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:16) 

Welcome to your Premier Membership in Jesus!

No comments: