Monday, November 11, 2013

YOUR HEAVENLY UPGRADE

Today my computer told me there were several software updates awaiting installation. All I had to do was hit the right button and new things would come from somewhere out there in space to make my clever and useful gadget even more clever and useful. 

One thing we learn quickly from our electronics - there is always something better out there for us. No matter how good the machine or software, there is always room for improvement. 
That's how it is in life also. No matter how hard we try, there is always room for improvement. That might seem discouraging, but it should give even more reason to give thanks to God that our eternal life depends on Him, not on us. How could we ever get everything so correct that God would accept us into heaven based on our effort, no matter how much we have improved?
I like my computer, but it is four years old already. Apple has introduced two newer versions since I bought mine in 2010, and there are rumors all laptops will be replaced with new "touch technology" in a few years, some new concept I can't comprehend.
 
This year's "new and improved" model already has a newer version being developed. Our technology is obsolete the moment it is out of the box. And all this is to help us store, display, manipulate and create information, much of which we don't need for anything other than learn how to run our new equipment. 

Ten days ago I officiated at the burial of a former member who was also an Air Force Chief Master Sergeant and Viet Nam veteran. His family told me his favorite Scripture was John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." My message was titled, "The New Old Gospel." It was great to share with them God's simple plan of salvation, that it all depends on Jesus. He paid the price for our sins and lays salvation in our hands as a gift. We merely receive His new life in Christ by faith. 

Jesus said, in Revelation 21:5, "Behold, I am making all things new." How much newness do we really need in life? The world tells us we must continually upgrade. We must "download our updates" lest we be left behind. Perhaps my sainted parents asked this question when everyone they knew finally had push-button telephones and color TV. 
The Bible tells us heaven will not be complicated at all. There will be no more overload, no more pain,or anger, suffering, tears or discontent. We'll be in the presence of our loving God experiencing eternal joy, peace and contentment. Sound boring? Not to me. I long for it to come.

Are you ready for your heavenly upgrade?

No comments: