Tuesday, November 26, 2013

SMILE!


Carol and I are watching our grandchildren a few days while our son and daughter-in-law attend a Lutheran Teacher's Conference. This is something we love to do, as it connects us to God's little ones in an intimate way.

The Sunday before last we attended a contemporary worship service at their church in Phoenix to hear the preschool choir in which our youngest grandchild sings. As I looked around the gym and its 500 adults and children, it occurred to me that I could not pastor that church. The energy level there, the activity of parents and little ones, as well as the singing and technology required an energy level I no longer have. 

The pastor preached right to our needs. He walked back and forth, making biblical point after point about three words, “Repent, Forgive, Oneness,” how God calls us to repent of our sins, be forgiven and to forgive each other, so that we can become One with each other and also One with God. Those are words that people of any age need to hear, “Repent, Forgive, Oneness.” 

Then came the moment so many were there for, when the little ones came up front to sing. With them came an armada of parents and grandparents, bearing that bane of Lutheran Worship – cameras! So many wanted to capture the little ones as they sang, “If I Were A Butterfly.” I knew the adults were going to do this, and I had dreaded that moment. 

But as the little ones sang and wiggled their fingers and jumped up and down, I did something I did something not in my plans. I turned on my iPhone camera, held it up and took a few pictures for myself! Me, Pastor Bob, the icon of worship propriety, became enwrapped in the joy of the moment so I could keep a brief memory of the moment.

The following weekend I led worship at our church in Casa Grande with its pews full of quiet, gentle old folks. A few children attended with parents but no cameras were visible. Yet I still found joy there, the joy of God's people smiling, singing, praying and fellowshipping as redeemed and forgiven Christians can do so well.

Then came another revered Lutheran tradition, a Potluck in honor of Thanksgiving! And because Pastor and his wife are honored among the winter residents (and also because we were leaving early to help take care of our grandkids), we went to the head of the line and got to sample each dish! 

In the Gospel of Matthew Jesus speaks of a great feast God's People will enjoy in the heavenly realms. What that time comes, I hope it will feature my favorite potluck dishes, as well as friends and family, and especially the joy of small children singing the delight of being alive in Christ. But no cameras will be needed because we will remember the moment forever.

Smile! God's camera is pointed at you!

No comments: