Thursday, December 12, 2013

START WITH THE BABY


Carol and I spent time decorating the house last weekend. We've added a screened-in breezeway and now have room enough for our big Christmas Tree. We had it brought down from Colorado by friends passing through town from the Black Hills on their way to winter in Arizona.

In a box of the decorations here is our African Nativity set our daughter-in-law brought back for us three years ago when she went to get their newly adopted daughter from the Democratic Republic of Congo. This ebony creche has sleek, tall figurines, so we arrange them on a small table and use a dab of Elmer's Rubberized Tack to keep the figures standing up.

As we took them out of the box, I wondered aloud where the pieces should go. Without hesitating Carol said, "Start with the baby. Put Him right in the middle in front, and the rest of the pieces will fall into place." Considering this briefly, I said, "I believe there's a message in what you just said. 'Put Jesus in the middle of things and the rest will fall into place'."

Do you believe that's true? As Christians we know in our head this should be true, but are we able to do this in our hearts on a daily basis? How difficult is it to put Christ first in our lives?

I find it very difficult. I am a guy who wants to take charge and do things my way, and this has helped me often in my ministry. I've learned this trait is a gift from God so long as I don't get proud of it. Furthermore, I am often quite direct with God as to how I would like Him to answer my prayers and even to right the wrongs in the world.

But God doesn't always follow my suggestions. He's smarter than that. it's easy to think we have most of life figured out until reality changes things, and the world quickly becomes different. Then adage is really true, "Put Jesus in the middle of things and the rest will fall into place."

Maybe that's what He meant in Matthew 6:33, "Seek first the Kingdom and His Righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

May we all put Him in the middle of things this Christmas.

No comments: