Wednesday, December 3, 2014

HELP GIVE A NEW HOME

Last spring I wrote of Pastor Darrell Howanitz's ministry to Hispanics in Eden, Texas, at a holding prison for illegals due to be deported. His Bible Study there has been fruitful and helpful to many.

But now there is a snag. Several months ago, Pastor Howanitz, age 64, was diagnosed with cancer, an aggressive type that has entered his bones. He is still able to preach at his two small churches and lead his Bible class between medical appointments and treatments. Darrell's attitude is still positive, a blessing from God in life and especially now. But he and his wife Wanda live in a parsonage and must make plans for the future.

I met Darrell nearly 40 years ago when I came to a congregation in North Dakota. He said, "Hi, I'm Darrell and I'm going to join your church." I instructed and baptized him and he became a helpful member and my good friend, eventually entering the Lutheran pastoral ministry ten years later.

Darrell has had challenges in his ministry, but he has remained a positive, hopeful servant who loves the Lord and His people. He has used his talents through music, Sign Language, working among mentally disabled people and several years of mission work in the Bahamas and Haiti. I dedicated my Bible Study, The Hopeful Disciple, to Darrell and Wanda. The title describes their ministry and life.

Their two small congregations have been supportive. To prepare for the future, however, they need to move from the parsonage into their own home. Funds are limited, but they've found an estate home where they can live rent-free as long as the elderly owners live. Then they can purchase the home, but needed repairs will cost $10,000 of which they have only a portion. Despite a lot of pain, Darrell is doing some of the work himself.

This servant couple needs a helping hand. Carol and I have decided to contribute to their housing needs and we invite you to join us. We're sending our tax-deductible gift to: Trinity Lutheran Church, P.O. Box 245, Eden, TX 76837, with "Pastor's New House" written on the memo line.

All people need a good place to live, especially God's servants. Our Heavenly Father granted His only Son a place to be born in a manger, and later provided a home through His foster father Joseph. God always provides.

Jesus said in Matthew 25:36, "I was in need and you helped me." Carol and I to invite you to join us in helping with the housing needs of Pastor and Mrs. Howanitz. We can assure you of their gratitude.

Thank you, and may God bless you this Christmas.

No comments: