Sunday, June 14, 2015

WHAT FATHERS REALLY WANT


            “What would you like for Father’s Day, Dad?” Father’s Day is next Sunday. Dads aren’t very good at answering this question without some time and thought, and though you may think some of these are odd, here’s what I’d like:

+ I’d like you to trust in God a lot and pray every day, and not just to ask Him for things.
+ I’d like you to be good to yourself and other people, and treat them right.
+ I’d like you to be able to defend yourself, emotionally and physically, but be gentle.
+ I’d like you to stand up for what’s right, and do it with respect even if the other guy is a jerk.
+ I’d like you to love and esteem your Mother, especially if I did a poor job of it.
+ I’d like you to honor your Grandparents. They are of a different time and tried their best.
+ I’d like you to be honest but patient with me, because I, too, grew up in a different time.
+ I’d like you to take an interest in our country and honor the people who defend it.
+ I’d like you to help out with good causes that involve others in greater need than yourself.
+ I’d like you to grow to be a responsible adult. If you’re still not sure what that means, ask me.
+ I’m glad if you ask me how I am doing, but be patient if I rehearse a few things.
+ I’d like it if I tell a story over a second or third time that you’ll still smile or even laugh again.
+ If I appear indifferent, it may be because I didn’t understand you even with my hearing aids.

            At the end of my life I hope you will still love me, even if I’ve shown you more of the sinner I am than the saint. Despite what it may have seemed at times, I tried my best. If you can, on Father’s Day I’d like you to take your Mother out to a restaurant. And I wouldn’t mind having lunch with just you sometime.

Love, your Dad

No comments: