Sunday, August 30, 2015

HAND IN HAND

Dear friends,
         Over a month ago I had corrective surgery again on my shoulder. I am pleased to report this time it is healing the way it ought, because I am treating my shoulder better than the first time. For the past five weeks I've had my arm in a large supportive sling that holds my arm at the correct angle, but it also makes sleeping rather difficult. I slept the first four weeks in a recliner and last week finally got back to my bed. This week I visit the doctor to see if I can stop using the sling now and start my rehab.
         The first week I had to learn how to use one arm to support the other at night while sleeping in my recliner. After several unsuccessful attempts at doing this, I found the best way to support my weak arm was to fold my hands together as if in prayer. That way the fingers on my strong hand intertwined with the fingers of my weak one to hold it in the right place. I was even able sleep part of the night with my hands folded as one hand held the other in place.
         So long as my hands were folded together as if in prayer, the weak arm was supported correctly. Not hard to see the application here, is it?
         It's probable that most of life would work better if we all kept our hands together in prayer more often. Past confirmation students have asked me if folding hands in prayer is needed. One boy said he could pray with his hands in most any position. I challenged him to try praying with one finger up his nose. He, of course, tried it but aslso got my point quickly.
         Prayer helps us strengthen what is weak in our lives. St. Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." Prayer and thanksgiving go hand in hand. When we realize God's blessings and daily presence in our lives, we will want to give Him thanks. And when we do, one hand holds the other in prayer.

Are your hands often folded in prayer?

Rev. Bob Tasler
www.bobtasler.com

No comments: