Sunday, August 23, 2015

MADE NEW AGAIN

            Returning Saturday from a friend’s birthday gathering, my cell phone stopped working. We were about two hours from home and we suddenly realized how dependent we were on our little “smart phone.” It had been doing some strange things, and now it didn’t work at all, and I had visions of trying to find an Apple store for repairs on a Saturday afternoon. Or going until Monday without it - ouch!
            Since Carol was driving, I used her trusty old flip phone to call a Support Line. Their tech listened calmly to my problem and told me the phone needed to be connected to a computer to be fixed. He said I should reboot it, plug it into my laptop, open iTunes and touch a certain key. When I did this at home, the phone worked better, but it was still not quite right. As per his instructions, I installed a new version of software and then my phone worked like new again.
            Wouldn’t it be nice when big life problems came up that we could call a heavenly support line, get a new version of “life software” and be like new again? Instead, we have to figure things out and often learn to live without what we cannot retrieve. Yet we don’t need to do this all by ourselves. I might have spent hours trying my own repairs and accidentally got it right, but instead I decided to call for help.
            We can always do this when life problems come up, but we need to be connected to Him by faith. God is there to hear our prayers and give us guidance in His Word. He is also there to calm our fears, give us a new start with forgiveness and assure us of His love in Jesus Christ. Life can wear us down and as we age, we will never work like new again. But God promises us in Revelation 21:5,He who was seated on the throne said, ‘I am making everything new!’ Then he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true’.”
            God’s Words are always trustworthy and true, and when we trust His Son Jesus, we believe that one day in eternity He will make everything new, including our sinful and weak bodies, especially those parts that don’t work here on earth any more.

What do you have in life that needs fixing?

No comments: